pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

16 July 2006

Woe, part one million

Regular readers will remember that I have had some trouble with my sublet, a crazy lady who could not decide when she was leaving New York and who cheerfully kept my $850 deposit hostage while I inquired politely and then cajoled and then abandoned all dignity and begged for her to finalize things. We'd finally got it all sorted out, and then today, as I arrived home from a nice weekend in Michigan (more on that later,) I discover this email in my box:

Subject: URGENT re: sublet Pseudo, Something has come up and I will be unable to rent you the apartment since I need to stay in New York for August. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding something else. Forward me your address and I'll send your check back. Sincerely, Stark raving crazy bitch
WHAT? I am arriving in New York in six days and I HAVE NO PLACE TO LIVE. So! If you live in New York, or know someone who does, and might be interested in having a charming law student blogger crash on your couch, feel free to email pseudostoops (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks. UPDATE: I have a new place! It’s the size of a laundry basket and it technically has no air conditioning and not really a closet either and I suspect that I won’t be doing all that much cooking on the teeny tiny stove, but it’s in a fun neighborhood, available for exactly the dates I need it, and cheaper than my last place. Best of all, I know this one won’t fall through: it’s currently occupied by a law student studying for the bar, and if there’s anyone who is going to leave town and go on vacation, come hell or high water, it’s a law student who has just finished the bar exam. Hooray for craigslist!

5 Comments:

At 7/16/2006 11:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My BIL lives in Washington Square Park in a tinytiny studio but he's sane and hardly home. Want me to ask?

And I'm just guessing, but she didn't REALLY sign her name 'stark raving bitch' did she? Cuz if that's her real name that should have been a MAJOR red flag to you.

 
At 7/17/2006 07:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that's awful! Shouldn't there be some kind of law against......I don't know, being that insane? Did you sign anything that you could then hold against her as proof that she said you could have the place? I just can't believe someone could say "actually no, you CAN'T live here after all" SIX days before you were due to arrive!

Um, and I don't know anyone in New York but I hear the park benches are comfy.

 
At 7/17/2006 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Marcheline said...

I've got a lovely two bedroom apartment on Long Island (just a wee train ride away from NYC). It has a fireplace and a stained glass window in the entryway. House was built in 1925, on a street full of old Victorians... close to train station, close to the water and parks, close to town.

Interested? Drop me a line!

 
At 7/17/2006 01:33:00 PM, Blogger Mama Duck said...

What a nightmare!! Sorry, I don't live anywhere near there, but I'm rather glad you didn't get into that situation....

 
At 7/17/2006 10:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is shocking enough to inspire my first-ever comment (plus, i'm just in a commenting kind of mood): that sucks! i'm so sorry. i'm glad that it at least kind of worked out. and hopefully the check is in the mail. she should definitely also be sending you interest and compensation for pain and suffering.

- mooks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home