pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

10 May 2006

subletter woes

So, when I move to New York for a month in the summer, I need to have a place to live. I have found a lovely sublet, a teacher who is going travelling, but it is only for a month. And she's not quite sure of the dates. And she wanted half of the money up front as a deposit before she would take the listing off craigslist. I gave her the money, after talking to her several times, and she said she'd get back to me within a week with her final dates of travel. That was a month ago. So, today, I sent her an email asking if she'd nailed down the dates yet (because hey, she's got a lot of my money, and disappearing for a month after taking it and saying she'd get back to me was making me a little nervous.) I just got an email back from her saying "I know you just think I forgot about you or am trying to take your money and run. You don't have to panic. I didn't forget. But I don't have final dates yet- I'll get back to you." So now, in addition to not knowing when this sublet is, exactly, I feel all defensive about my decision to follow up over email. Am I being anal retentive? Panicky? A nitwit? Or is this something about New Yorkers that I'm going to have to get used to, this scorn for all people who live outside of Manhattan?

3 Comments:

At 5/10/2006 09:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you've got bigger balls than I would have. Giving money to a stranger IN NEW YORK? Crazy. Don't second guess your decision. Screw her.

And does your husband win hubby of the year or what? You leaving for the summer? Damn. My husband literally wouldn't eat the whole time I was gone because he 'forgets' when I'm not there. God forbid what would happen to the cat. . .

Anyway, have you been to NYC yet? Just went for the first time a month ago and loved it. You can see my picture with Robin Williams on my flickr page off my blog.

And one last thing. Are you on speed? Because you seem to do everything. Wife, law school, volunteer, Student Council (almost!) . . .I need another nap just reading about your day-to-day life!

 
At 5/10/2006 09:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.nyposting.com/, which is a NYC-oriented classified site that looks astoundingly like Craigslist. (Though the little popup windows when you mouseover an ad listing were interesting -- I don't recall that Craigslist does that.)

 
At 5/10/2006 10:33:00 PM, Blogger pseudostoops said...

I'm a little afraid that already-skinny John may revert to a diet of popcorn and iced animal crackers while I'm gone, but he's been remarkably good-spirited about the whole thing. It's only 6 weeks, and his brother will be here the whole time, so they'll be bonding or something.

I spent a summer in NYC about 4 years ago and have visited several times and love it- though I'm always happy to hear suggestions of places to go, especially free ones, because I am poor.

No speed. Yet. I hear it's all the rage among high powered professionals in NYC. I'm totally serious. It's apparently quite the problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home