pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

12 May 2006

This one's for you, TMAO

Remind me, the next time I am tempted to go to any alumni event at Teach for America ("alumni dinner," "alumni roundtable," "alumni networking night", etc.): I hate these events. They make me crabby. I act snotty at them. I come home annoyed. When I am thinking of going to another one of these things in a few months and you remind me of this, and I protest, and try to argue that perhaps this alumni event will be the one that will be fulfilling, and useful, and life-affirming, remind me of the following two tidbits from last night's "Annual Alumni Dinner":

"Law? How could you ever think to choose law after teaching? What value do lawyers add?" (Thanks! I feel really defensive now! Would you like to hear all about Client? Or my summer foster care work and my last summer public housing work? F you!)
and, my personal favorite:
"We in the Chicago office are excited and thrilled to be at the start of a major growth initiative, one that will place 30 Teach for America people in principleships by 2010 and which will continue to be a valuable source of support for this city's most entrepreneurial schools." (I guess the kids at traditional, non-entrepreneurial schools are shit outta luck.)
Also, who knew there were so many gin-and-tonic drinking Future Country Club Members of America in TFA? I'd kinda forgotten!

6 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

They're so gross. Gross, gross. I recently went to one because I was feeling some mid-year mailaise set in and I needed to get fired up again about true ed reform -- not this fake crap they're serving.

On the other hand, I was able to resist sitting in the back of a workshop session run by the fearless leader out here, which strove to outline TFA's five-year plan. I did not go. I did not make myself needlessly angry. I am making progress. This is the third step.

 
At 5/12/2006 11:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'll remind you alright. Jeeze. Such pricks.

 
At 5/12/2006 11:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and kinda on the subject:

Nothing made me want to homeschool my future children more (I won't, but you'll see where I'm going with this) when my college room mate told me she was going to major in Special Ed becaue all her friends were. All her friends, herself included, were also major pot heads, coke heads, alcoholics, and just the most irresponsible people you have ever met in your life. Now they are responsible for children with learning disabilities? Run and hide. They are out there and I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

(vomit vomit, gag gag)

 
At 5/14/2006 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay so now i have to know. what did you get written on your hoodie/pants? and sadly there is no store in chicago. must have been a dream:-)

 
At 5/15/2006 02:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading you & tmao's blogs make me very nervous about tfa and its participants.

 
At 5/27/2006 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I also hate the alumni events...five years ago they used to reinspire me but they don't anymore. I wonder what would make them feel inspiring again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home