pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

16 November 2006

Eat your heart out, Persephone

I spend a fair amount of time cooking, and I really love it, but unlike some people, it's not an endeavor that typically creates beautifully creative and photogenic food so much as an exercise in trying to make dinner taste okay. But pomegranates, when they come in season, inspire me a bit. They're a bit too fancy pants for an everyday food, and yet when they're sitting there in the grocery store, all magenta and shiny and tempting, I find myself buying them over and over and over again. Why? To make this: This, my friends, is pomegranate salsa and it is the most delicious part of late fall early winter. (Except for maybe molasses spice cookies. I'll call it a toss up.) It couldn't be simpler to make- a pomegranate, an onion, and a sprinkling of cilantro and lime- but put together it tastes so good that you might as well just dispense with the chips and eat it with a spoon. It also tastes delicious scattered over a salad. Look, isn't it pretty? I've never put a recipe on here before, so I'm a little intimidated, but it's pretty easy so I think I can get it right: Pomegranate Salsa * seeds from one pomegranate (for instructions on how to get the seeds out without looking like you've just butchered an animal, look here) * one half of a white or yellow onion, chopped fine * one small bunch of cilantro, chopped * juice from one half lime * one half diced jalapeno (optional) Step 1: Mix all the ingredients together. Step 2: Eat See? That's not too hard. It tastes even better after it's sat in the fridge for a while and all the flavors have had a chance to mix together. It also makes a really excellent Christmas potluck dish. You'll look all fancypants and everything.

2 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 12:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am frightened as they are 1) a fruit and 2) seeds. Weren't we always told NOT to eat seeds?

I don't get it.

But! On my on-going quest to be more of a grown-up, I may try this. And give you all the credit, of course.

 
At 11/18/2006 08:01:00 PM, Blogger frillgirl said...

Mr. D and I are quite intrigued by this recipe. I like pomegranites a lot. It'll have to be after finals, though. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home