pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

26 September 2006

Usually Edward Norton is all I need to hear, but I'm confused now

A long time ago my dad worked for a company that was in the middle of a rebranding effort. Part of the process was coming up with a new slogan, which is a remarkably time- and energy-consuming process. There were meetings, and focus groups, and sample advertisements. They finally selected something and then, a week before they rolled out the new campaign, a car company launched a new ad campaign with exactly the same slogan. "That always happens!" said my understandably frustrated father. "These things always come in pairs- whenever you come up with something good, someone else seems to come up with it at the same time." It's funny the things that people say that stick in your mind. (I can still tell you in elaborate detail, for example, about the time I struck out at a junior high school softball game and my science teacher, seeing the disappointed look on my face, said "don't worry, you'll never remember this in ten years." Fourteen years later....) But darn it if he wasn't right. I haven't been to the movies in months, and I was thinking that as fall's chill enters the air it might be nice to go out on a classic dinner and a movie date this weekend. Trouble is, I can't decide what I want to see, and I keep seeing commercials for movies that look so similar that it's only confusing me further. First it was these two: Lush visions of old Hollywood! Ingenues! Pretty dresses! Perfect red lipstick! Intrigue! How to choose? (Well hel-LO Adrian Brody! I pick you! And if you could teach me how to use blogger to upload pictures in roughly the same size and in a nice pretty layout, that'd be great!) Now there are these two: Magicians! Sleight of hand! Dark, vaguely sepia-tones images! Intrigue! How to choose? In all seriousness, all of these seem like movies I might like to see. But I can't even tell them apart from one another! And we only go to the movies about five times a year because we are lazy and love Tivo, so I'd better not waste our movie date on a subpar choice. Does anyone know anything about thie movie industry? How does this happen, that movies so similar get released almost simultaneously? I really don't get it.

2 Comments:

At 9/27/2006 07:44:00 AM, Blogger Green said...

I know nothing about the movie industry other than I'd like to be a continuity editor, but you have to know somebody for that.

However, I can whole heartedly suggest Little Miss Sunshine as a great date movie. Hell, it's a great anything movie. It seems to me like an indie movie that somehow came to the mainstream.

Have fun on your date, whatever you decide to see!

 
At 10/13/2006 08:13:00 AM, Blogger ms. v. said...

I think it's called "zeitgeist"...

The only one of those that I've seen is the Illusionist. I liked it a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home