pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

02 October 2006

Could we at least pretend that we think everyone is equal in the eyes of the Constitution?

I've mentioned before that I work with a program that goes into public high school classrooms and teaches kids about law. It's a fun gig- high school kids are goofy and interesting and take no shit- a nice departure from the typical law school crowd. Recently I was sitting at a table collecting names and emails from people who might be interested in joining this high school law teaching extravaganza. A newly-minted 1L - high on his first week of classes and his recent discovery that after 25 years of being the dorkiest guy in the room, at law school he is kind of cool - comes over to my table. He looks at the sign, then announces loudly to his new buddies: "I'm DEFINITELY not signing up for that. They go into the crappy public schools around here and teach those kids about their rights. I don't think that's something we should be doing, because I'm very pro law-enforcement." And then my head exploded.

3 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Zoe said...

Wow. Prick doesn't even seem to cover it. If I'd thought of it in the moment (which I'm sure I wouldn't) I'd have smiled at him and perked up "Hey! When you go to Summer interviews you should really expand on that statement, okay? They *really* like hearing all about the deeper feelings behind statements that way."

It's always nice to help people (dig their own holes).

 
At 10/03/2006 01:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am part of a program in DC that teaches law to high school students too and I get reactions like that ALL the time! Some people just don't get it

 
At 10/03/2006 02:21:00 PM, Blogger Lily Graypure said...

LOL. That's the best thing I've heard in weeks!! Awesome. Just awesome. I hope he gets a DUI and doesn't know what to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home