pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

17 November 2006

oy to the vey

I have officially reached the level of "white guilt neurosis." Walking out of school this afternoon, I crossed the street in the middle of the block to get to my car, which was on the other side of the street and a little further down. As I started to cross I noticed, walking toward me, a young thugged-out black man, and even though I hadn't seen him before I started crossing the street, and even though I had to cross the street to get to my car, I seriously considered NOT walking across the street so he wouldn't take me for one of the stereotypical people affiliated with my university who cross the street to avoid contact with the neighborhood's residents. Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 08:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like that sometimes. Like, one time (at band camp) I was in the city waiting at a red light. I'm a freak about locking my doors, because I fear them flying open one day and me getting sucked out even though I wear my seat belt, but I digress. . .On the corner where I was stopped was a black homeless man begging for change. I didn't have any, and would have given him some had I been able. While looking his direction I noticed that my car door was unlocked and as I went to go lock it I stopped from doing so because I didn't want him to get the wrong idea.

So really? I totally understand. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home