pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

27 November 2006

A slightly embarrassing moment

Some book suggested that a cool thing to do with your blog is show your readers a little bit about you by taking pictures of things in your closet. That's a nifty idea, but since no one is really that interested in looking at pictures of 2 pairs of jeans, 52 tshirts, and 3 ratty old black sweaters, it didn't seem like a good idea for my blog. But then I had an idea. I spent a lot of time in my childhood room at my parents' house this weekend, supposedly studying for finals but actually marveling at how, exactly, a relatively successful adult came out of such a vast collection of kitschy crap. And because I was inspired by the phototour idea, and because it's the holiday season and I'm in a sharing mood, I thought I'd take you on a tour of my room, so you can laugh (with me! with me! not at me!) along as we comb through the wilds of pseudo's childhood and adolescence. Meet the penguins. They're our tourguides. They're also what I used to teach myself how to juggle, because apparently juggling balls like a normal person would have been too, well, normal: I tried to juggle them this weekend. I seem to have lost my touch. My bedroom decor was an homage to the 1980s love of all things Laura Ashley. I also liked green. I also liked pigs. Sometime in elementary school (maybe 1990?) I learned that pigs are smart, and it was also around this time that potbellied pigs were popular pets, and I decided that I liked pigs and collecting pig stuff. By about 1992 I was pretty much over this phase, but as often happens, once word got out that I was a pig collector, EVERY SINGLE GIFT that I ever received until approximately 1997 was somehow pig themed. Which is my explanation for this shelf: But my life was about more than pigs. It was also about an incredibly random assortment of cassettes: My room is also the place where I keep things that don't fit into my adult life. Like my baby blanket, which I slept with much longer than I'd care to admit: Since I don't live there anymore, the room is mostly a time capsule. But there are some more recent additions- the gifts I get from my crazy aunt that are so odd I have no use for them, so I just leave them. Like this: Though it's a lovely curious george tshirt, it's a sort of strange thing to give a twenty-five year old for Christmas, no? I could have showed you some dolls, or the truly astonishing number of posters, notes, photos, and other doo-dads from high school that I affixed to my wall with stick'em gum, but they didn't photograph all that well. So that's it. Hope you've enjoyed our tour.

1 Comments:

At 12/08/2006 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Sudiegirl said...

Hey - we're both blogger chicks or blogging chicks or something like that.

Personally, I like the curious george t-shirt and would probably wear it if i had it in my clutches. i also collect looney tunes stuff and penguin stuff.

however, i do sympathize with the flower print thing - i liked them in an ironic sense, and my family bought everything they could find with big-ass flowers on it.

Sigh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home