pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

11 December 2006

gifting is strange

When you have found something to give to someone on your holiday list that is within your target spending range and which you think the recipient might really enjoy, and then you go to the store and discover that it has been marked down 50%, is your reaction: a) joy, as in "wow, sweet, I got exactly what I planned to get for this person at half the cost!" or b) a pang of ambivalence, as in "hm, I now I feel oddly obligated to go find something additional to give to this person so I'm not spending less on them than on my other family members"? Because I had reaction "b" today, and try as I might to fight it I find myself surfing amazon to try to find something in the $20 range to add to what before I would have considered a perfectly reasonable, even slightly generous, gift. Odd. Does this happen to anyone else?

4 Comments:

At 12/12/2006 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Jonathon Morgan said...

I'm totally B. Shhh...this is what happened with my mom's gift this year...I just can't find anything to make up the difference!

 
At 12/12/2006 07:06:00 PM, Blogger Green said...

If you were Jewish this never would have happened. :) Just enjoy the extra money.

 
At 12/12/2006 07:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 'B' but then quickly get over it. No one has to know it was on sale. It's not against the law to get a good deal on something you were planning on getting anyway.

I'm with Green:-)

 
At 12/14/2006 12:13:00 AM, Blogger hazelblackberry said...

I generally think a and then b.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home