pseudostoops

now clogging the internet elsewhere

10 December 2006

Ugh. Help?

Sigh. It seems that the combination of posting every day in November, taking finals the first week in December, and finding out I didn't get the job I was hoping for last week has left me feeling a little deflated. And out of material. Things I actually considered blogging about: - Clementines. (I mean, yum, but seriously not worth a blog entry) - My new garlic press. - Getting all our Christmas shopping done in one! afternoon! - Scheming about how I can get my in-laws to love me by cooking The Most Delicious Christmas Dinner Ever. (Roast chicken, parmesan mashed potatoes, green beens, tarte tatin with salted butter caramel. Classic, but with a twist. Love me in-laws! Please?) - My need for a hand cream that lasts longer than 20 minutes. - crunching my car against a post in a cringe-inducing, many-body-panel-scratching, terribly-expensive-to-fix kind of way Yet none of these seems to capture the imagination enough to merit a several-paragraph entry. But! But! I need advice! Since I didn't get this job I was hoping for, I am faced with two choices: a) continue looking for public interest jobs, which may or may not be fruitful, and may take quite a while, with the very real possibility that John and I would both be not bringing home any bacon for a period in Summer-Fall 2007, but which also presents the possibility of soul-fulfilling, meaningful, underpaid work, OR b) taking the open offer at law firm, which has the advantage of being both secure and lucrative. Thoughts?

5 Comments:

At 12/10/2006 09:26:00 PM, Blogger Green said...

Couple of things. Car accident? Are you okay? When my brother was trying to get a job the summer before his second year he couldn't (in Boston), so he took a job as a temp, as a legal secretary at a major law firm. Perhaps you could do that at a public interest place?

I think one of the two of you should work. I'm that type though, who tries to save half my paycheck each time I get one. Plus, what's the health insurance situation if neither of you are working?

Your parents in law should love you simply because you both love the same person. And because you're willing to cook to get their love. I'm jewish, but I'll be over at 6pm because that dinner sounds awesome.

 
At 12/11/2006 08:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go with the money job, and buy yourself some Aveeno 24 hour hand cream!

 
At 12/11/2006 08:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Your parents in law should love you simply because you both love the same person"


That is so nice! Never thought of it that way!!!

 
At 12/12/2006 07:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a security kinda gal and don't take risks so I say go with the money job UNTIL you're set for the other kind of job. But that's just me. My career life is a mess so please don't take my advice because I have no credentials.

The car? Ouch. I'm sorry:-(

Dinner? Set another place for me as well. I'll bring wine.

 
At 12/14/2006 12:18:00 AM, Blogger hazelblackberry said...

If you go for the money job you may find it hard to turn your back on the moolah when the chance to do the public-spirited stuff comes around. But that's okay because it's not a crime to earn money and you may just find that you LIKE the job. You obviously have a strong need for public service: perhaps there's some other area other than law you could direct that calling through a few hours of volunteering somewhere.

And...my God, I'd love my in-laws after a meal like that: even if I'd cooked it myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home